Thursday, March 5, 2009

And so it goes...

Well the school that I attended last year and where I worked up until last week has shut down and filed for bankruptcy. This doesn't surprise me, I had a hunch months ago that this was a very real possibility. Aside from the personal impact on me (I'm outta of a job, they still owe me for my last 2 weeks, and I'm supposed to get a variety of lifetime benefits including studio and equipment use, continuing ed and others) this is a lesson in business. Here was a successful family-run business that endured for 42 years, surviving economic crises in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s. And then a couple of years ago they were bought by an international financial corporation and in 2 1/2 years was run into the ground and is now bankrupt. Terrible management, bad customer service, didn't treat employees well. A lot of the things you read in articles and books about business seem like cliches and common sense, but then you see a situation like this and you realize that sometimes there is wisdom in the cliches. There really is no substitute for good customer service and being passionate about your product. This business was bought and managed to be a "plantation" investment, as something to be exploited rather than a business to be grown and developed in cooperation with its customers. I learned a lot about audio and video editing, camera operations, master control ops, and audio performance all of which I plan to put to use in a variety of ways, particularly in my own business aspirations. I also made back my entire tuition by working there, and most of the time I was paid to run the equipment, which means that I was getting paid to practice and improve skills. So that's that. And on we go...

3 comments:

Purpleslog said...

I see bad decision on operational issues every day. I have worked for two companies that were on death spirals and seemed oblivious to it.

Her's best wishes from me to you for a better situation soon.

phil said...

Thanks, sorry for not responding sooner, I became involved in a downward flowing spiral of my own over the past few months. I tell you man it just seems to be taking forever to get where I want to go. I'm tired of being dependent on other people whose arbitrary decisions seem to determine my future. I'm finally starting to move forward again on my entrepreneurial project so hopefully that will lead to something. Things are definitely better than they were, I appreciate the thought.

Purpleslog said...

Good luck on the Entrepreneurial project. Let me know if I can help in any w2ay (except for financing :-) Shoot me an email if you want to discuss details or anything.