Sunday, May 11, 2008

More Books

The journey was tough, my friends: rain, darkness, heat waves and endless thirst. Then down into what seemed like endless passageways. I don't know how long I was down there. Too many wrong turns. An endless wandering. Then finally, I came to the door and pried it open with the last ounces of my strength -- and there it was. The great treasure whose vision had sustained me in my darkest moments: row after row of used books...

Some recent used book acquisitions:

The Mind and the Market: Capitalism in Western Thought by Jerry Miller

Flying in Flanders: Belgium's balloon-busting ace recounts his 37 victories by Willy Coppens

Endless Novelty: Specialty Production and American Industrialization, 1865-1925 by Philip Scranton

Modernization: The Transformation of American Life 1600-1865 by Richard Brown

Six Characters in Search of a Republic: Studies in the Political Thought of the American Colonies: Part II in Seedtime of the Republic by Clinton Rossiter (I like the Pirandello reference)

No comments: