Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lebanese Wine

I would not have been inclined to think of Lebanon as a wine-producing country. But why shouldn't it be? Winemaking should be done wherever it can be done:

Although not one of the better-known wine-producing regions, Lebanon has managed to cultivate some impressive varietals throughout its strife-ridden history.  

Actually, Lebanon is one of the oldest sites of wine production in the world. Vines were grown in Baalbeck, an ancient Greek city in the Bekaa Valley, since time immemorial. Modern winemaking, however, dates from 1857, when Jesuits founded a vast underground winery, introducing good-quality grapes and storing the best of their production.

2 comments:

Ortho said...

Fascinating. I will look for some Lebanese wine at my local liquor store.

phil said...

Hey Ortho,
Thanks for the comment. I'm going to try to see if I can find some too.