Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Books: Now Reading, Recently Read and Intending to Read

Younghusband has a Currently Reading post up over at Coming Anarchy. As Chicago Boy Lexington Green, who has his own post up, says: I am a sucker for that kind of thing. Me too. But no sooner had I put up a Currently Reading post a couple of months ago than I put those books aside and started reading other things.

Right now I'm just about finished with Brink Lindsey's The Age of Abundance: How Prosperity Transformed America's Politics and Culture, which is excellent. Next on the agenda is John Robb's Brave New War which arrived the other day.

Instead of reading the books I had posted about a couple of months ago I started reading some fiction for the first time in about 6 years. All were good but Alan Furst's Dark Star was the best. This was the first Furst I've read and I will be reading more, it was excellent. It's a spy novel whose main character is a reporter for Pravda who gets sucked into a variety of intrigues in the late 30s. Eric Ambler's Journey into Fear was also good although the writing is not the same quality as Furst. One of the guys at Volokh, I think it was Ilya Somin, had a post about reading Mario Puzo's The Godfather and that planted the seed that prompted the read.
I recently picked up En L'air: Three Years on and Above Three Fronts by Bert Hall, the memoir of an American who served in the French air force during WW1 including some time with Lafayette Escadrille and was sent to Russia as an advisor where he toured front line aviation units, saw a little bit of combat and was present when the Russian Revolution broke out. And yesterday I stopped in at a branch of a Hagerstown, MD used bookstore, Wonder Books, that was closing so all books were $1 and picked up: The Exploring Spirit: America & the New World Then & Now by Daniel Boorstin; War and Anti-War by Alvin and Heidi Toffler; Freedom of Speech and Press in Early American History: Legacy of Suppression by Leonard Levy; and The New Industrial Society by Bernard Weisberger.

No comments: